Here is the process that can be followed to restore a production database to the test/development database (based on Aegent and EDU). As of May 2012.
1. Noman creates a backup of the production database in H:\MEI Development\Aegent_backup on SQLSERVER2.
a) Alternatively, Noman can request the most recent nightly backup
b) In this case, Dana can find the file in G:\Databases\Backup\MEC_MOE on SQLSERVER2.
2. Noman asks Dana to compress the backup file.
3. Dana compresses the file, moving it to H:\MEI Development\Aegent_backup if required
4. Noman connects to DEVSERVER via RDP, and copies the file from \\sqlserver2\MEI Development\Aegent_backup to C:\Storage\MECDB
5. Noman extracts the compressed backup file
6. Noman restores the database
7. Noman adds user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE with role ‘MEC_storedproc_execute’ to the database
8. Noman removes any unneeded backup files from both \\sqlserver2\MEI Development\Aegent_backup and C:\Storage\MECDB to save disk space.
I believe we’ve confirmed so far that steps 1-3 work, except Dana needs to confirm she can access G:\Databases\Backup\MEC_MOE on SQLSERVER2.
Noman, please test steps 4 and on. I’ve created a test archive in \\sqlserver2\MEI Development\Aegent_backup so you can quickly test the copying in step 4. You can test the rest of the steps using C:\Storage\MECDB \MEC_MOE_backup_2012_05_16_145500.zip.